Jul 28, 2014

Day -2: Last Day of Chemo!


I can't believe we're already this close to the day of transplant! Today he is getting his last doses of chemo. Whoop whoop! He got his last dose of one kind of chemo this morning (because it's only given once a day) and he will get his last dose of his other type of chemo tonight at midnight (because it's normally given every 6 hours, around the clock). 

So, I was expecting that his hair would have fallen out by now? But, apparently, after asking his doctors and nurses, the affects from chemo will actually show up and worsen more later on, including hair loss. They said his hair could start falling out anytime within the next few days, but may take up to a few weeks. It's okay, I'm sure he'll be adorable bald, too. In the meantime, I'm going to have fun playing with the little amount of hair that he naturally has. Today was a mohawk kind of day...except he kind of just looks like the baby from "The Incredibles." (;
Lookin' good in his mini mohawk.
I've seen my prayers as well of the prayers of our family and friends be answered today. Those who read yesterday's post know that Kal was not eating well yesterday. Well, today, we found out a way to get him to eat more. Since yesterday, he still is refusing me feeding him baby food with a spoon. The only time Kal ate yesterday was when Jonald was holding him in the rocking chair- as opposed to the Bumbo he was using before to sit in while eating. So, this morning, I sat him on my lap in the rocking chair and attempted to feed him- no luck. Then, an idea crossed my mind. If he loves his pacifier so much, I wonder if he'll still take his pacifier if I dip it in a little baby food. Ta-da! It worked! So there I was, rocking him in the rocking chair, dipping his pacifier in his food, putting it in his mouth, and then starting over again all until he finished it all. Sheesh, this kid- making everything difficult! Haha. I think he just always wants to prove that he's still the boss. It seriously felt like 100 years until he finished the food, but hey, as long as he ate it, right?! What we, especially parents, do in desperate times. So, that's our new method to the madness. I fed him that way for all of his other feedings for today, and he got down almost 4 containers of baby food, with some mixed with baby rice and formula! Mama for the WIN! Oh yeah! Oh yeah! Doing my mini victory dance inside my head! *Ehem* Carry on...

Kayelee got to visit Kal and us today. She and Kal really enjoyed watching and trying to pop the bubbles I was blowing in the room. It was simply blissful. The look on Kal's face was priceless. He hasn't had much interaction with bubbles before, so when he saw them, he was startled, curious, and excited all at the same time.
Sibling love. They couldn't stop looking at each other. Too adorable!
When Kal needed a nap, I took Kayelee down to the Forever Young Room. It's a play and craft area for patients and/or their siblings to come to and have fun. Kayelee decided she wanted to make a crepe paper flower headband- which really meant she wanted me to make one for her, haha. Luckily, my friend that works at Primary's dropped by and helped me make some flowers. Kayelee also enjoyed coloring and painting. She even colored on a picture of Olaf (from the movie Frozen) to give to Kal and hang in his room.

When we headed back to Kal's room, one of the nurses saw Kayelee wearing her flower headband/crown and said, "Oh, you know what goes with that crown?!" He then went to the cabinet and pulled out a pair of purple fairy wings. Kayelee was delighted and wore them around the unit, showing them off to the nurses. It was a precious moment, for sure!
Showing off her flower crown and fairy wings.

Thank you for all of your love, prayers, and support! It has been an overwhelming source of strength and love. I'm glad Kal's light can be shared this way to brighten so many people's lives. He really is a treasure to have in our lives, and it's an honor for my husband and I to be his earthly parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment