Aug 24, 2014

Day +25: Angels Among Us



Can you believe we have been here 35 days already?! 10 days of preparation and transplant, and then 25 days since. That doesn't even seem real. Just had to put it out there...

Sacrament meeting was nice today. It's always neat to be surrounded by so many people of faith that are going through crazy medical trials as well. Jonald, Kayelee, and my mom came over to visit today as well. Kayelee is getting so grown up; it blows my mind. She's such a smart little girl and uses that to try and sass us. It makes me just have to crack up at her sometimes because I have no clue where she comes up with some of the stuff she's saying!

Also, a sweet friend of mine from college dropped by to visit today. I haven't seen her in 5 years. That is so crazy to think about! It was great to catch up and share experiences with each other. One thing that really brought insight into my mind is our discussion about people who have already passed on are helping us throughout life and our trials. She shared with me an amazing quote:
"In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike—and they will—you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection." -Elder Jeffery R Holland
 I believe this wholeheartedly! She was my angel of the day for sharing that wonderful thought with me. When looking up this quote again online to share it with you all, I also came across another part in that talk that brought peace to my soul:
"I close with this promise from heaven.
"Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along.[D&C 78:17–18]

"I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, . . . and mine angels [shall be] round about you, to bear you up. [D&C 84:88]

"The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours. [D&C 78:18]"- Jeffery R. Holland, "For Times of Trouble," BYU Devotional, 3/18/1980.
 It's so wonderful to think my loved ones on the other side are here for us, even though we may not see them. In Jonald's culture (Filipino), they have the belief that if a baby is looking out at nothing but smiling or talking, the baby is seeing an angel. I really like that theory. Seriously, there was a day where the nurse and I were standing right next to Kal's crib, and he was just looking around the room at different, specific places, one at a time, and just smiling and babbling. Seriously, it made me think about how at that time, this hospital room must have been full of our loved ones on the other side who were there to see Kal. It was a wonderful feeling to think of it that way. I don't know if it was true or not, but the room certainly felt full in that moment. 

In other news, the doctors say they know what is causing Kal's fevers. It is a certain type of fungus, and could possibly be another type of fungus as well. He had already been on a new antifungal for the past couple of days, but to be extra cautious, they added a new antifungal for him to start today. Even though they said it takes longer to get rid of compared to a different type of infection, hopefully these will at least pull out his fevers so we can go home soon. 

Also, Kal's fevers have been not as high and last not as long recently. That's a great sign that perhaps the first antifungal he's been on for a couple days is starting to do its job. He did have one fever in the morning or just barely 38, but it went down quickly with Tylenol. Later in the day, he had a fever of 39.1. That's pretty darn high, but with some Tylenol and a bath, he cooled down very quickly. Other than that, he was happy this morning, but then was suuuuper grumpy most of the day until he had his bath. After that, he was pretty chipper until he wore himself out again. Hopefully tonight brings no fevers. His night nurse said he is "going to fix Kal of his fevers tonight." Haha, here's to hoping!

A little moment when he was in a good mood!

No comments:

Post a Comment