Aug 4, 2014

Day +5: Keep Calm and (Please?!) Don't Puke


Today was all about taking things nice and slow. After blowing through so many outfits over the weekend, due to Kal's puking spree, the nurse and I just took our time to do everything today. Seriously, we would do his mouth care, then rest. We'd give him one medicine, then let him rest. Then we gave another medicine and rest again. Over and over. It seriously took us like 2 and a 1/2 hours to give him his morning medicines. It felt like the day was just dragging on. BUT, he didn't puke his medicines! It was so worth it in the end.

When the doctors did their rounds today, they didn't even bat an eye at how much he had thrown up over the weekend. As the doctors said, "Unfortunately, that's just what is to be expected for BMT patients..." Except they say that pretty much every morning when they come in Kal's room to chat... I guess if it's something unexpected for them, it's most likely something absolutely awful. I'll stick to Kal following the course "as to be expected," thank you very much.

The doctors suggested we try to only give 2 ounces of formula at a time, and then rest for a while, and try again, to try and keep him from throwing up so much. The first 2 ounces were a success, and so were the next 1 and a half ounces!

Couldn't help but snap a snoozing pic. Those long eyelashes, though! Ahhh!
After his nap, I tried to feed him again, and he was kind of pushing the bottle away. When I got the bottle to his mouth, he gagged, and I had a couple of seconds to react and get him to the disposable bed pad in time for him to throw up on that. Phew! It wasn't too much, only about an ounce that he threw up. Not too shabby...

After that and working with the Physical Therapist, I let his tummy rest for a couple of hours before attempting to feed him again. He was then able to take another 2 ounces and then take a nap.

After that nap, I tried feeding him, but he kept fussing and pushing the bottle away. Whenever I could get the bottle in his mouth, he would gag so hard it would make my heart skip a beat. Lemme tell ya, waiting to see if your kid will barf or not is one of the most suspenseful times as a mama. Hahaha! I gave up on trying to fight him to eat and just decided to let his tummy rest. I didn't want to upset him so much that he'd end up throwing up what he already had in his stomach.

Kayelee and my mom came to visit during dinner time today. It was great to see them. Kayelee showed off her fingernails that my mom had put fingernail polish on as well as a little baby doll my mom had bought for her today. We watched the big storm roll in the valley, and then went up to Kal's room and watched the rain outside the window. We played with bubbles in Kal's room after that, and Kayelee gave Kal a high-five. She did better with the goodbye this time, but probably because she knew Daddy would be there when she got home.

Crazy storm coming into the valley! Sweet picture, though, as it looks like a giant wall of rain was headed for us.
Kal was able to keep his nighttime medicines down, as well as 2 ounces of formula, despite giving us a few scares with gurgling and gagging in the process. Woohoo!

Don't mind the weird expression on his face. In the moment I snapped the picture, he was just mesmerized by all of his IV lines that were swinging as I rocked him in the rocking chair. LOL at his face, though! It looks like he's hypnotized. (;

So puke count for today: 1.

I'd say that's a pretty awesome SUCCESS! (:

No comments:

Post a Comment